Creating a character in Pathfinder is pretty easy. I’ll try to walk you through. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. A really good resource for looking up rules, etc. is at http://www.d20pfsrd.com.
Determine Ability Scores
- Roll 3d6, drop lowest and add 6 to the sum of the dice. Record this total and repeat the process until six numbers are generated. Assign these totals to your ability scores as you see fit. This is less random than the Standard method and generates characters with mostly above-average scores.
- Ability Scores:
Choose a Race
- Pick a race, modify ability scores and record abilities.
Pick a Class
- Pick a class (you choose a class archetype); buy skill ranks; record class abilities; record base attack bonus (BAB) and base saving throws; note weapon/armor proficiencies; pick spells; etc.
Choose one (or more) Feats as appropriate.
Choose two traits— one regional, and one non-regional trait.
Buy equipment. You start with 200 gold pieces.
Complete your Character Sheet
1. Armor Class (AC) – AC represents how hard it is to hit you with an attack.
- Normal AC = 10 + Dex + Shield + Armor + Size + Misc
- Flat-Footed AC = 10 + Shield + Armor + Size + Misc
- Touch AC = 10 + Dex + Size + Misc
2. Saving Throws – Saves represent your ability to resist or otherwise overcome some sort of effect.
- Fortitude Save = Base + Con + Misc – Resists against poisons and diseases.
- Reflex Save = Base + Dex + Misc – Dodge traps and explosions.
- Will Save = Base + Wis + Misc – Overcomes magical influences.
3. Weapon Attacks – Describes with what and how well you hit your enemies with your equipment.
- Melee Attack = BAB + Str + Size + Enhancement + Misc
- Ranged Attack = BAB + Dex + Size + Enhancement + Misc
- Damage = weapon’s damage dice + bonuses
4. Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) – CMB represents how well you can perform advanced tactics and maneuvers against an opponent.
- CMB = BAB + Str + Size + Misc
- Possible maneuvers are:
- Bull Rush – power an opponent backwards
- Dirty Trick – temporarily distract an opponent with cheap shots
- Disarm – cause an opponent to lose their weapon
- Drag – drag an opponent out of their area
- Grapple – wrestle with an opponent
- Overrun – run through or over an opponent
- Reposition – forcibly control another opponent’s position
- Steal – take something that’s not yours
- Sunder – break an opponent’s armor, weapon or other item
- Trip – knock an opponent down
5. Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD) – CMD represents how easily you can resist or prevent an opponent’s combat maneuver
- CMD = 10 + BAB + Str + Dex + Size + Misc
6. Skills – Skills are used to determine how well you perform or perceive particular tasks or events.
- Skill Modifier = Rank + Ability Mod + Racial Bonus + Misc
- All class skills receive a +3 bonus if there is at least 1 Rank in that skill.
- Ranks cannot exceed your total character level.
- Acrobatics – flip and tumble around
- Appraise – know the market value of an item
- Bluff – lie to someone
- Climb – duh
- Craft – make something
- Diplomacy – make friends and have them do stuff for you
- Disable Device – take something apart
- Disguise – play dress-up
- Escape Artist – escape bonds
- Fly – make maneuvers while under an ability that causes you to take flight
- Handle Animal – make and train a pet
- Heal – determine poison, illnesses and causes of death
- Intimidate – make enemies and have them do stuff for you
- Knowledge – different types of lore; know facts about certain creature types.
- Arcana – constructs, dragons and magical beasts
- Dungeoneering – aberrations and oozes
- Engineering – buildings and other structures
- Geography – lands, terrain, climate
- History – wars, historical events/people
- Local – humanoid creatures, local personalities and legends
- Nature – animals, fey, monstrous humanoids, plants, weather, vermin
- Nobility – lineages, heraldry and royalty
- Planes – outsiders and planar magic/locations
- Religion – gods and undead
- Linguistics – learn a language, write a poem
- Perception – sense or perceive details or events
- Perform – sing a song
- Profession – make money using a trade skill
- Ride – sit on a horse without falling
- Sense Motive – detect lies
- Sleight of Hand – pickpocket or small magic tricks
- Spellcraft – sense magic auras, determine magic effects
- Stealth – hide from stuff
- Swim — duh
- Use Magic Device – fiddle with a magic item until it works (or you die horribly)